Travelling and studying overseas is one of the most exciting things you may ever do. There are many things you need to do before you travel. Below is a checklist that may assist you in making sure your pre-departure preparations go as smoothly as possible.
- Make sure you have a student visa so that you can enter Australia and study here legally.
- Make sure that you have access to some Australian currency and that you are able to use your credit cards for international purchases.
- Check that your passport is valid for the intended length of your study period in Australia.
- It is a requirement of your student visa to make sure you have and maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) throughout your stay in Australia. You must make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave home. The college can assist you with this if required.
- You might also like to consider taking out travel insurance should anything unfortunate happen to you during your stay in Australia. A travel insurance policy may cover things your OSHC does not, such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.
- Prepare a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and institution details and keep them in a convenient place that you can easily access. If you have used an education agent, you should find out if they have a representative in Sydney and make sure you have their details on hand.
- Before leaving your country for an extended period of time, it is recommended that you have medical, optical and dental check-ups and organise any prescribed medication you may require including a letter from your doctor (in English) detailing any prescribed medication.
- Prepare a document folder containing your offer letter, Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), academic transcripts from previous study, identification documents, important contact numbers, details of pre-arranged accommodation and important medical records as you may be required to produce original documents at different times.
- You may decide that you are OK to make your own way from the airport to your accommodation, but many students find it is easier to book an airport pick up for your first trip in Australia. We can give you recommendations of appropriate pickup services if you require.
- Before travelling to outside of your country, you should check the customs and quarantine regulations of the country you are travelling to and pack any items you wish to declare separately.
- Knowing where you are going to stay for your first days in Australia can make your settling in period much more enjoyable. You may book temporary accommodation before you leave your home country and we can refer you to appropriate service providers to help you do that. Once you arrive, you should start looking for long-term accommodation as soon as possible to help you adjust to your new lifestyle.